Application Process

1. Before you apply: choose a major professor

Choosing the right major professor is the key to success in your degree program.  Working closely with a scientist in your field of interest while conducting your own research provides a mix of experience and credentials that will help you advance in your career. In most cases, your major professor is also who extends the offer of a Graduate Research Assistantship to help fund your graduate study.

Begin by searching for a specific professor, browsing topic areas, and exploring our research pages.  You should directly contact faculty in your area of interest by phone or email, and make plans to visit campus if possible.

An exception is the Master of Natural Resources (MNR) degree.  As this is not a research degree, it is not supported by research assistantships, and therefore students can wait to identify a major professor until their first term on campus.

2. Apply!

Apply online at the Auburn University Graduate School.

Application fees are $60 for US applicants and $70 for international applicants. Fees for both Domestic and International Applications may be paid online with a credit card, by checks, or money orders.

3. Additional application requirements

Test Scores:


TOEFL  or IELTS (international students only)

Official scores should be submitted to Auburn University Graduate School. Auburn’s ETS institution code is 1005.



One official transcript of all undergraduate and any graduate credits from each school previously attended is required. If an Auburn University transcript, the Graduate School will acquire the transcript for you.

The School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences expects all graduate students to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on all previous college work.
Note: While official transcripts and test scores are required for final admission, it helps speed the SFWS approval process to ALSO send unofficial copies of transcripts, GRE scores, and TOEFL scores directly to the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences, Attn: Graduate Student Services, 602 Duncan Drive, Auburn University, Alabama, USA, 36849


Letter of Intent

Submit a letter of intent directly to the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences.  This letter, sometimes called a statement of purpose, should give a description of your background, interests, and career goals.  The letter serves three purposes:  First, it demonstrates your ability to express yourself in writing, and should therefore reflect your work and no one else’s.  Secondly, it confirms your research interests to your prospective major professor.  Finally, it provides you an opportunity to describe your strengths, experiences, and other noteworthy matters that cannot be provided through other application materials.


Reference Letters

Two original letters of reference be sent directly to the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences, Auburn University, Alabama, USA, 36849. These reference letters should be from former professors, employers, advisors, and other professionals that can evaluate your potential in a graduate program. Choose individuals that can speak to noteworthy accomplishments, experiences, and knowledge that cannot be provided by the application, transcripts, and test scores.



Approval Process

Once the application has been completed and the fee received, the application is transmitted to the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences to continue the acceptance process.  At this time the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences will contact you (preferably by email) with further instructions if necessary.

Once it is received, your completed application packet is forwarded to our Graduate Policies and Procedures Committee (GPPC) for their review and vote.  The decision is then electronically transmitted to the Graduate School.  The time frame for the vote process and notification to the Graduate School is generally only a matter of a few days.  Therefore, pay close attention to any email from us to clear up any questions that may hold up the process.

The Graduate School will notify you by email and letter of the admission decision.

PhD and MS applicants will also receive an official award letter from the Dean that will define the terms of the assistantship and tuition fellowship. You must contact the Dean’s Office to accept/decline the award.

Visit the Dean’s office when you arrive on campus to complete the paperwork and register for classes.